Pros and Cons of Technology in Manufacturing
Rapid technology developments substantially impact the manufacturing industry. Though manufacturing technology improves production, operations and processes to make work easier for companies and workers, there are concerns about a machine’s ability to do manufacturing work and deliver precise results.
Although there are pros and cons of automated tech in manufacturing, these advanced technologies have incredible capabilities that can complete nearly any task with ease.
Positive Impact of Manufacturing Technology
Technology in manufacturing has many positive outcomes. Automation can:
- Improve quality: Automation controls the schedules and production lines without human interference. The program can optimize the schedule to reduce defects and inefficiencies, creating better quality products.
- Reduce costs: Technology can operate with better efficiency, less waste and fewer workers, creating long-term cost savings.
- Decrease production time: Manufacturing technology expedites the production process, so more batches can be made more quickly. You can create more products in less time and have a consistent run rate.
- Optimize the supply chain: The entire supply chain benefits from procurement and production that follows the delivery schedule.
- Have more consistent results: Automated technology is more consistent and eliminates the mistakes error-prone humans are more likely to create.
- Foster a safer workplace: Machines can do jobs that are dangerous for workers, preventing injury and risk. Technology can also identify risks and develop safety measures.
Negative Impact of Manufacturing Technology
Despite the many advantages, companies have some concerns about adding automated tech to their manufacturing facilities, including:
- Lost jobs: Unemployment is a common concern with tech in manufacturing since machines can replace human labor. However, the jobs that automation takes over are generally repetitive and low-value tasks, so employees can instead have critical, high-value jobs.
- Limited creativity: One machine operation setup can limit your production to one task or process, and limited space may prevent innovation and expansion into new areas. For make-to-order departments, the one-use setup saves time and boosts productivity.
- High initial cost: A costly investment is required to purchase and install automated technology in your manufacturing facility. However, automated technology does provide significant cost savings after that.
- Environmental concerns: More technology in your facility means more fuel consumption, especially if your machines have a high output. Manufacturing facilities can take certain measures to minimize the environmental impact while benefiting from automation technology.
- Machine breakdowns: Frequently used machines may have a breakdown, causing decreased productivity and downtime. Automated technology that is regularly inspected and maintained should run optimally and avoid the risk of frequent breakdowns.
Get the Best in Manufacturing Technology With Summit Steel
Summit Steel & Manufacturing is a leader in precision manufacturing, offering laser cutting, saw cutting and computer numerical control (CNC) machining. Our company is ISO 9001-2015 certified, and our welders are AWS certified, allowing us to meet regulations and high quality expectations. Summit Steel is experienced in various industries, meaning we will bring a high level of expertise to every project we accept.
We provide quality fabrication services in Pennsylvania and throughout the East Coast. Contact us for more information or a quote today.